Thursday, September 16, 2010

Preemie Caps

Our little band of knitters have wanted to find a way to knit for our new hospital, opening next year. The thought was to start knitting preemie hats for the nursery ward. I was of course designated to design an easy, quick knit, so here it is....


Yarn: Sport weight baby yarn (label says 4mm - US6 needles recommended)
Use 4 double point needles 4mm.


Cast on 60 stitches. (20 stitches on each of 3 needles) join without twisting, rib (knit2, purl2) for 2.25 inches. Change to stocking stitch, and work for 1.5 inches more.
Decrease as follows: [ Knit 8, knit 2 together] repeat around the row.
Knit next row.
[Knit 7, knit 2 together] repeat across this row.
Knit next row.
[Knit 6, Knit 2 together] repeat, knit next row.
[Knit 5 , knit 2 together] repeat, knit next row.
[Knit 4, knit 2 together] repeat, knit next row.
[Knit3, knit 2 together] repeat, [knit 2 , knit 2 together] repeat, knit 2 together .
Continue to knit 2 together until 4 stitches remain.
Run yarn through the last stitches and fasten off OR work 4 stitch I-cord for one inch, then bind off. Stitch in the ends.

2 comments:

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

I'm for sure going to try this pattern.
THX

Nice thing you all are doing :0)

Unknown said...

Thank you! Magic Loop for me and I love all your patterns!